Tuesday, November 24, 2009

The HPV Strains Are Coming to Get You, Barbara! Look! Here Comes One of Them Now!


HPV. We've been hearing a lot about it. I've been going through my series of Gardasil shots under the recommendation of my gynecologist lately to prevent getting it. As the vaccine coursed through my arm creating a searing pain and a soreness that lasted all day I began to wonder what I was exactly trying to prevent. I mean, yeah, HPV but what exactly is HPV? I only knew the basics like it can cause cervical cancer but that's it. So, I thought it'd be a good idea to find out and when I did I thought, "Hmmm. Perhaps I should share my discoveries with my fellow possibly clueless ladies." So. Here goes. HPV education for dummies.

What is HPV?
A very common virus that can be passed from person to person usually through sexual contact.

How common?
Like 3 in 4 sexually active people will get at least one strain in their lifetime common.

What?! At least one strain? How many strains are there?
Um...like over 100.

Over 100?!?!
Yeah, but only about 40 types can affect the genitalia of a man or woman.

Only 40, eh? Well, that's okay then. *thick sarcasm* And it's passed through sex?
Yes. Vaginal and anal...and oral...and genital to genital contact.

That's a wily virus. So, being a virgin won't save you then?
Nope.

So that saying that abstinence is the only 100% way to prevent an STD...?
Is bullshit when it comes to HPV.

Well, at least with sex one can just wear a condom and-
Condoms don't protect you 100% from HPV.

Well, condoms aren't 100% on anything but-
Right but it's especially not too helpful with HPV because the virus can survive on the outside of the vagina or on the scrotum of a man. There has been debate among doctors whether condoms help at all. Last I heard they were saying it does help but that's it. It just helps. So, keep wearing condoms but don't put 100% faith in them.

Well, is there a test to give your partner to see if they have it?
A pap test for women but no test for men.

What about that vaccine....uh...Gardasil?
Yup. It protects you but only from 4 strains out of the 40.

FUCK!
Yeah. Two types that cause the most cases of warts and-

Warts? What! Warts?
Yeah. Some strains can cause warts.

UGH! What about the other two strains Gardasil protects you from?
Those two strains cause the most cases of cervical cancer.

AHHHHHHHHH! Cancer?!?!
Yup.

And since men don't have a cervix they're not affected by this at all?
Well, some HPV strains in very rare cases can cause cancer of the penis or anus but very rarely do men get cancer from HPV.

So, they are practically unaffected by HPV?
Pretty much the vast majority of the time. And there's no way yet to test a man to see if he is carrying it. So, in a way it's like men have water balloons filled with HPV and they're running around throwing them at women screaming, "Tag! You got HPV!" They're working on getting a vaccine for men. In fact, some men are getting the Gardasil shot but there's a lot of debate still on this.

This is just awful. It's like there's nothing I can do to stop from getting it! All I can do is lower the odds. And that's something I guess but jeez. I'm probably going to get warts, cancer, or both it looks like.
Well, warts can be removed and only 1% of sexually active adults have genital warts at any given time in America so it's not that common. And cancer, well, cervical cancer isn't that common either. There are about 12,000 women each year that get cervical cancer. Nothing to sneeze at but nothing that's dangerously looming either. Furthermore, cervical cancer develops over a long time. A pap will usually detect abnormal cells to alert you. These cells can become precancerous but even if they do these changes in cells rarely result in cancer. In fact, in 90% of HPV cases the body's immune system will clear the virus naturally making the individual immune to that strain from then on.

90%! So,...the odds of me getting cancer from HPV are slim you're saying?
Pretty much.

Then why even tell me about HPV in the first place and freak me the fuck out?
Because 99% of cervical cancer is believed to be caused by HPV.

Oh.
Yeah.

Well, I guess one should keep an eye on HPV then.
Absolutely. And in case you do get it one day-

Which I probably will.
There's no need to fall to pieces. There's no need to put yourself down. And if you hear of someone who has HPV don't look down on them or treat them like they have the plague. Remember. While you're on your high horse you might have had it at one point in your life already or you might get it one day yourself. Hell, you might have it right now. HPV is not something limited to promiscuous people only. It can't be when a virgin can get it. HPV is simply a virus that can sometimes give you genital warts and make you more likely than before you had it to get cervical cancer. Just wear a condom and get the vaccine and limiting your sexual partners never hurt anyone either.

*******
Disclaimer: I'm no doctor so to make sure you have the absolute facts do your own research. My essay comes from research I did from these websites http://www.acog.org/publications/patient_education/bp073.cfm and http://www.cdc.gov/STD/HPV/STDFact-HPV.htm just to name a few of my sources. And like all sources sometimes they conflict.

No comments:

Post a Comment